How do we get here?
Like many of us, you have come to a place where you need to know more about being lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning/queer (commonly referred to by the acronym LGBTQ). These are some of the typical reasons that bring us here:
- We question whether we—or someone we love or care for—might be LGBTQ.
- We learn someone we care for or love, such as a family member, friend, or colleague is LGBTQ.
- We know we are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or queer and want to come out to our families and/or find support.
What ties us together?
- The common thread is that we often feel our lives are starting at a new and different place, filled with questions and challenges, and accompanied by deep and complex emotions.
- Many of us refer to these first revelations as the start of our journey.
- It’s important to know that we are not alone. Many have walked this journey before us and can provide support and guidance, by listening, sharing stories, and pointing to resources.
- We find that when meet more LGBTQ people and learn more about being LGBTQ, we lessen our fears and anxieties.
- Education is key! As we understand the terminology, the science of being LGBTQ, the coming out process, and how we can get better, our journey can often already feel lighter.
Where can I go to ask questions and find support?
- PFLAG Bellevue/Eastside is here for you. We’ve been uniting families, allies, and the LGBTQ in the community for a long time—more than twenty years.
- Our monthly meetings provide support and education in a confidential, safe environment, where you can set your own pace.
- As a newcomer to our meetings, you can join a support group or if you feel more comfortable, meet one-on-one with a facilitator.
- Our website provided many tools and resources for people starting their journey, including recommended reading and helpful publications, counseling and support, and extensive list of local and national LGBTQ resources that serve a wide range of needs.
- When you become a member of our PFLAG chapter, you automatically join PFLAG National, connecting you to our nation’s largest family and ally organization for the LGBTQ community and giving you a bookstore discount and free access to PFLAG Academy Online.
What if I am in a state of deep crisis right now?
If you are considering self harm or suicide, you deserve and need immediate help. Please consult 24-Hour Crisis Help Lines as soon as possible or call 911.