How do we get here?
Like many of us, you have come to a place where you need to know more about being lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning/queer (commonly referred to by the acronym LGBTQ). These are some of the typical reasons that bring us here:
- We question whether we—or someone we love or care for—might be LGBTQ.
- We learn someone we care for or love, such as a family member, friend, or colleague is LGBTQ.
- We know we are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or queer and want to come out to our families and/or find support.
What ties us together?
- The common thread is that we often feel our lives are starting at a new and different place, filled with questions and challenges, and accompanied by deep and complex emotions.
- Many of us refer to these first revelations as the start of our journey.
- It’s important to know that we are not alone. Many have walked this journey before us and can provide support and guidance, by listening, sharing stories, and pointing to resources.
- We’ve found that when we have more information and meet more LGBTQ people, many of our fears and anxieties are lessened and we feel encouraged.
- As we understand the terminology, the science of being LGBTQ, the coming out process, and how we can get better, our journey can often already feel lighter.
Where can I go to ask questions and find support?
- PFLAG Bellevue/Eastside is here for you. We’ve been uniting families, allies, and the LGBTQ in the community for a long time—more than twenty years.
- Our monthly meetings provide comfort, information, and education, all in a confidential and safe environment, and where you can set your own pace.
- As a newcomer to our meetings, you can join a support group or if you feel more comfortable, talk to a facilitator by yourself.
- We have many tools and resources for people starting their journey, including recommended reading and helpful publications, counseling and support, and extensive list of local and national LGBTQ resources that serve a wide range of needs.
- When you become a member of our local PFLAG chapter, you also automatically join PFLAG National, the nation’s largest family and ally organization for the LGBTQ community. That’s a lot of strength behind you. As a member, you also receive a bookstore discount and free access to PFLAG Academy Online.
What if I am in a state of deep crisis right now?
If you are considering self harm or suicide, you deserve and need immediate help. Please consult 24-Hour Crisis Help Lines as soon as possible or call 911.